BEATING HEART

BEATING HEART
"Many a beating heart is silenced by the tyranny of indifference." ~Michael Faudet

THE PUREST PLACE

THE PUREST PLACE
"Retrace your steps and go back to the purest place in your heart… where your hope lives. You’ll find your way again.” ~Everwood (Trust Your Journey)

The Bible says

"a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth."

17 May 2011

There's a Hole in My Sidewalk

A Poem by Portia Nelson:
Autobiography in Five Chapters

1) I walk down the street.
....There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
.... I fall in.
.... I am lost — I am helpless.
.... It isn't my fault.
.... It takes forever to find a way out.

2) I walk down the same street.
....There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
.... I pretend I don't see it.
.... I fall in again.
.... I can't believe I'm in the same place.
.... But it isn't my fault.
.... It still takes a long time to get out.

3) I walk down the same street.
....There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
.... I see it is there.
.... I still fall in — it's a habit
.... My eyes are open
.... I know where I am
.... It is MY fault.
.... I get out immediately.

4) I walk down the same street.
....There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
.... I walk around it.

5) I walk down a DIFFERENT street.

Portia Nelson (1920 - 2001) was a renaissance woman: author, singer, composer, lyricist, painter, photographer, and actress. Over the years she wrote the music and lyrics for many revues, television specials, and films. Portia authored the much-loved book There's a Hole in My Sidewalk: The Romance of Self-Discovery, originally published in the 1970's. There's a Hole in My Sidewalk was made into a musical based on the book, and Portia directed, created the music and lyrics, and performed in the production at the York Theatre in Manhattan. This amazing poem has been praised by psychotherapists, metaphysicians, and legions of fans from every walk of life. It is used in numerous 12-step substance-abuse programs, and has been quoted in such diverse books as The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, and the preface of My Lives, Roseanne's best-selling autobiography. It also appears on a poster in Dr. Maguire's office (Robin Williams) in the film Good Will Hunting (1997). John Gray, Ph.D., author of Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, says: "There's a Hole in My Sidewalk explains in a simple and concise way, how life works. It is full of practical wisdom that will allow you to embrace and change your life."

"Are you doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?"