BEATING HEART

BEATING HEART
"Many a beating heart is silenced by the tyranny of indifference." ~Michael Faudet

THE PUREST PLACE

THE PUREST PLACE
"Retrace your steps and go back to the purest place in your heart… where your hope lives. You’ll find your way again.” ~Everwood (Trust Your Journey)

The Bible says

"a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth."

13 April 2020

DESCENT

I made a far journey

Earth's fair cities to view,

but like to love's city

City none I knew

At the first I knew not
That city's worth,

And turned in my folly

A wanderer on earth.

From so sweet a country

I must needs pass,

And like to cattle

Grazed on every grass.

As Moses' people

I would liefer eat

Garlic, than manna

And celestial meat.

What voice in this world

to my ear has come

Save the voice of love

Was a tapped drum.

Yet for that drum-tap

From the world of All

Into this perishing

Land I did fall.

That world a lone spirit

Inhabiting.

Like a snake I crept

Without foot or wing.

The wine that was laughter

And grace to sip

Like a rose I tasted

Without throat or lip.

'Spirit, go a journey,
'
Love's voice said:

'Lo, a home of travail

I have made.'

Much, much I cried:

'I will not go';

Yea, and rent my raiment

And made great woe.

Even as now I shrink

To be gone from here,

Even so thence

To part I did fear.

'Spirit, go thy way,
'
Love called again,

'And I shall be ever nigh thee

As they neck's vein.'

Much did love enchant me

And made much guile;

Love's guile and enchantment

Capture me the while.

In ignorance and folly

When my wings I spread,

From palace unto prison

I was swiftly sped.

Now I would tell

How thither thou mayst come;

But ah, my pen is broke

And I am dumb.

By Rumi
Translated by: A..J. Arberry

'Persian Poems', an Anthology of verse translations 
edited by A.J.Arberry, Everyman's Library, 1972